A Millionaire's Mentality

>> Saturday, July 30, 2005

I love studying people as it is purely fascinating to me, especially successful people whom I can mentor and learn from personally in my life. This is exactly why I like to follow millionaires. Every millionaire is goal-focused, with or without money.

In particular, Richard Branson, the chairman of Virgin Airlines and now having his own reality tv show "The Rebel Billionaire", is one of those millionaires that has an alternative way of thinking. Branson had taken a bunch of journalists for his inaugural flight around LA. The journalists were all in the lobby waiting for a limo to take them back to the airport when one young woman went up to Branson and asked him the following question:

"Richard, I don't want to be a hack all my life, what is the secret to making money?".

Branson looked around and said, "Just keep your eyes open and the answer jumps right at you. Look at those outdoor heaters the hotel has around the pool, for example. I've never seen them before, and with the English weather the way it is, I'd bet they would sell like hot cakes at home. Find out who makes them and see if you can get the UK distribution rights."

Out of interest, the woman checked it out and was told she could buy the rights for $3,000. She didn't bother.

Last year, the company that did buy those rights was sold for $25m. True millionaires see the world slightly differently, through being open to opportunities. I bet that woman was kicking herself for missing that easy opportunity.

0 comments: